Translate

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The one that almost got away


I met my husband in high school.  Actually we went to the same junior high but I didn't get to know him until our sophomore year in high school.  Looking back it's hard to imagine that the same boy who shared homeroom with me and was randomly seated near me in our class pictures would become my husband.


The first time I talked to my husband was during 10th grade geometry class.  It was a forced meeting because he was assigned the seat behind me and we had to work together on class projects.  At the time I had a boyfriend and he had a girlfriend so our conversations were limited to class work.  I liked talking to him but he kept to himself most of the time.  To start conversations I would ask him to help me draw triangles using my compass.  Since he's a nice guy he would help me out with my triangles (little did he know I really did know how to draw triangles).     


After class ended we still had homeroom together once a week for 15 minutes.  Most of the time he sat near me but we didn't speak.  I silently admired him and hoped that one day I could find a guy like him. 

When senior year came around I was single (so was he) and I was planning to attend college in Southern California.  I wanted to go to Senior Prom, especially since I helped plan it, but I didn't have a date.  I'm not the sort of person that sits back and waits for things to happen, so I asked him to go to prom with me as a friend.  The first time I asked he turned me down, he said he didn't want to go to prom.

I didn't know what to do after he told me no, so I talked to my mom she told me I should tell him the truth, that I should tell him I like him.  Taking her advice I invited him out to dinner and calmly told him, "Look, I like you and this may be my last chance to go out with you before I go to UCLA."  He grinned (from ear to ear) and agreed to go to prom with me.  I wasn't hoping for anything to develop because I thought it wouldn't be fair to have a long distance relationship.      

We started spending time together planning for prom and during one of those evenings (two days before prom) he kissed me.  After he kissed me I said, "Well, we have two options.  We can still go to prom as friends or I am going to LA..."  To which he replied, "I chose the second one."  I smiled and kissed him again, I didn't expect him to say yes to a long distance relationship.


We stayed and talked for a while after that and before I knew it, it was midnight!  I didn't have a curfew but I did have an important test the next morning so I rushed home using the main streets.  On my way home I got my first ticket, I wish I could say it was my last!  Oh well, c'est la vie, at least he's the last man I'll ever have to ask to dance.


Engagement and Wedding Photography by: Lukas VanDyke


No comments: