Translate

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Project of the Moment - Fleece Bias Tape Baby Blankets


When I make flannel blankets as a gift I like to cut them bigger than the size sold in the store and I make them double sided (...and I topstitch the entire blanket to help keep the edges from rolling up like the ones bought from the store do).  I had intended to make these baby blankets the same way until I stumbled across fleece bias tape!!!  I had no idea that fleece bias tape even existed until a month ago.  I think the bias tape adds a lot of color and gives the blanket a clean finish.

During my first attempt of adding the bias tape I was being lazy and I tried to just sew both sides but the thickness of the fleece bias tape made that a little difficult so I used this tutorial by The Haby Goddess.  It made everything sew much easier!  (Did you see what I just did there?  I crack myself up!)  When I sewed the second blanket I used my walking foot and the bias tape and blanket fed through the machine smoothly.  I did end up purchasing a binding foot for my machine for future projects...I can't wait to try it out.


Anyway, if you use fleece bias tape, I'd love to hear what projects you use it on.

 p.s. - Don't use steam on the fleece bias tape!!  The package doesn't say anything but when I tried to iron the bias tape with steam it melted a little (see the picture below).


No comments: