Translate

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Violette Fields Thread Estelle Skirt - Pattern Hack and Review


I love tulle so this pattern was a must have for me (I also bought the Ellie skirt pattern for my mini-me and I look forward to making it for her).  This pattern is very simple and easy to follow, the most difficult part is cutting the tulle (I really can't stand cutting tulle!).  I highly recommend using a large flat cutting area when cutting the tulle, it will make your life so much easier.

When I started making the skirt I was still pregnant and I asked my cousin to model it so I could enter a Project Sewn sew-a-long competition.  I measured my cousin and I cut the waistband pieces however I'm not quite sure what happened because the waistband was 2" inches too small so I had to "make it work" to finish the skirt.  To "make it work" I loosened the gathers and made the tulle skirt about half a size bigger then pinned the tulle and lining to an elastic waistband.  Using my coverstitch machine I sewed around the waistband twice and I gently pulled the elastic as I went along.  If you are sewing on a regular machine, you can attach the elastic waistband using a zig-zag stitch.  I was pleased with the results and it ended up fitting my cousin perfectly!

I hope to try making this skirt again but for me and making a proper waistband.  I'll be sure to show you the results when I do.  

No comments: