When I started making the skirt I was still pregnant and I asked my cousin to model it so I could enter a Project Sewn sew-a-long competition. I measured my cousin and I cut the waistband pieces however I'm not quite sure what happened because the waistband was 2" inches too small so I had to "make it work" to finish the skirt. To "make it work" I loosened the gathers and made the tulle skirt about half a size bigger then pinned the tulle and lining to an elastic waistband. Using my coverstitch machine I sewed around the waistband twice and I gently pulled the elastic as I went along. If you are sewing on a regular machine, you can attach the elastic waistband using a zig-zag stitch. I was pleased with the results and it ended up fitting my cousin perfectly!
I hope to try making this skirt again but for me and making a proper waistband. I'll be sure to show you the results when I do.