Translate

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Simplicity 4243 - Pattern Review

Before I wrote this review I tried to find the pattern on the Simplicity website but I couldn't find it so I'm not sure if it has been discontinued.  I made this dress and changed the pattern a little when I made a dress for the Project Run and Play sew-a-long.


This pattern is easy and it can be made fairly quickly, I believe I spent between 2 and 3 hours on it from cut to finish and that includes the time I spent tracing the pattern on to Swedish tracing paper and making my alterations (adding a middle band).  The bias tape finish for the armholes and neck help speed up the sewing process and it make the inside look nice and clean.  I did have a problem with the size of the bottom band.  I'm not sure if it was a tracing error or a cutting error but it came out waaay to big for the rest of the dress so I used my serger to sew and finish the edges so that it would match up to the top part of the dress.  


#sewing #simplicity4243 #distractions #babyviolet


The second time I used this pattern I made a top instead of a dress.  I finished the bottom using single fold bias tape instead of folding up the fabric because I wanted to preserve as much of the ombre fabric as possible.  I think my second time using this pattern the outcome was more polished but it still took 2-3 hours to complete from start to finish.

All in all this is a great pattern that includes a version for boys so it's perfect if you plan on buying it to make baby gifts or for your own children.

No comments: