Translate

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Project of the Moment - Pier 49 Pants Pattern Review

Before you say anything...yes, I know these pants are a little bit...errr...out there (fabric wise)...I'd like to think of myself as more of a conservative creator but I couldn't resist the print...now on with the rest of the post.


Last summer I bought a cute pair of navy roll up pants on clearance (at Old Navy) for Nik.  I didn't really love the fabric (but the pants were so cute), it felt like a greasy kind of rayon material...do you know the type?  Anyway, I bought the pants and thought about trying to draft my own pattern (but that never happened!), then I found the Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop and their Pier 49 Pants Pattern.
.




Perfect! 

I was a little hesitant to have the pressed open seam showing on the pants so I contacted Peek-a-Boo Patterns and asked if there was an option for adding lining and they directed me to Melly's tutorial.   I looked at Melly's tutorial but I ended up not being able to add lining because I didn't have enough red accent fabric (doh!)...oh well, maybe next time I can try lining the pants.  This time around I just serged the seams so the fabric wouldn't fray after a few washings.

The pants have a few details, mostly top/decorative stitching (which I didn't do).  I like this pattern because it can be used for boys and girls, and it comes in a variety of sizes in one pattern.

Overall the pattern was easy to follow and the only complaint I have is that the pieces are a little difficult to line up when you're taping them together...but that could just be me.  It does seem like there are a lot of little pieces and steps, but there really isn't.

I made these pants in a size 4T  (and left the waist band and hem undone for now) and I think I'm going to make a few more in different sizes. Perhaps I'll try making a back patch pocket on the next pair of pants instead of a faux back pocket flap.

I plan on using cord for the belt and inserting elastic when Nik is old enough to fit in the pants.
Front View
Side view with button
Back View
Faux Back Pocket
Front View of Rolled-Up Pants
Close Up of Rolled-Up Cuff
I'm anxious to see how Nik reacts once he can fit into the clothes I've made for him...I hope he likes my creations.  My mom never sewed for me but I didn't object to most of the clothes she got me...err...at least that's how I remember it (ok, so maybe I refused to wear things with shoulder pads in them).

2 comments:

Amy said...

Cute! Glad you enjoyed the pattern :)

Kate, see kate sew said...

cute pants!
To answer your question you left on my blog, I usually trace something that already fits to make a pattern!