Translate

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Project of the Moment - Baby Shirt

I was sooo scared of this project!  I have never made a collared button up shirt before and the thought of making a small one terrified me.  I'm not being funny right now, I think it was the fear of failing and messing up that kept me from ever wanting to try this project on my own.  However since I registered for Sewing for Kids and it was part our of lessons I figured it was time to conquer my fear.

I bought the fabric I wanted to use for the shirt and since it's the "good stuff" I thought I should try making the shirt out of muslin first before I use the nice fabric.


It's a good thing I used muslin first because I ended up messing up the collar band.  I think it would have been an easy fix with normal cotton but since I had used muslin it was thin and frail, it started to unravel when I tried to rip the seams to fix the collar band.


See how it's straight and not curved?
Please excuse my threads!
I'm going to move on and go to the next class project (since I need to make some presents for two little girls) and go back to the shirt again and try working with some cheap (thicker than muslin) cotton to see if it's easier than muslin.

Over the last few months I've learned that I really need to break down my sewing time into small chunks of time here and there so I CAN finish projects.  It's been really difficult for me to not be able to finish my project in the same day like I used to back in high school.

I'm one of those people that NEEDS to finish what they start otherwise it will drive me crazy thinking about it!  Also, I'm an impatient perfectionist...sound like an oxymoron, huh?  I think it is but that's me....I want it done right BUT I want it done right away....those two things don't always go hand in hand.  So it's like a constant epic battle to not take shortcuts and to do it right the first time.


No comments: