Translate

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Project of the Moment - Chicks Dig Dinosaurs

Fin!  Ok, even though I didn't sew all of the projects from my sewing for kids class (I don't plan on sewing the bonnet and I need to try making a shirt again), I finally feel the weight off my shoulders. This project is the last project I was worried about completing before my access to the class website expired.  

Dress Front
Dinosaurs!
Back opening with buttons!!
Dress Back
For the inside lining I put more dinosaur fabric...you can't really tell but the print isn't one direction.
I added my tag so I could write the size, I really need to get size labels.
Isn't it cute?  I must have sewn this in record time, in fact it all came together so fast that my husband was amazed.  I cut out the pieces on a Tuesday night while making dinner.  On Wednesday night I cut out the interfacing and attached it to the bodice, put the baby to sleep and finished sewing the bodice, attaching the skirt and making the button holes!  Then, on Thursday night I sewed on the buttons (by hand, I guess I didn't get a button foot with my machine, oops!) and made the hem.  Needless to say, my fear of making button holes has been conquered.  I no longer have to put a pattern back in the bin if it calls for buttonholes.

For this project I was inspired by the fabric and I thought it would be perfect for a special little lady I know who loves dinosaurs.  The colors and the pattern of this fabric collection by Little Yellow Bicycle is great for both boys and girls.  I just wish I would have had something like this when I was little...I would have loved it!  Once upon a time I loved dinosaurs sooo much that I memorized facts about each and every single one.  This was my favorite book (it may be a tad outdated now):

   


I was introduced to dinosaurs by my Uncle Edward and I remember him beaming with pride when he would tell the story of how his 5 year old niece informed her teacher that there is no such thing as a brontosaurus. Of course my teacher didn't believe my story of how the brontosaurus had the wrong head and it was actually an Apatosaurus.  Oh how I digress...anyway, I'm very happy with the outcome of this dress and I can't wait to see little HB wear it. 

1 comment:

Nina said...

Ed remembers that and so do I- because he told me about you, the teacher and the brontosaurus way back when we first met! He was so proud of you for standing your ground. ;>) -Nina