Translate

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Project of the Moment - RIT Your Heart Out

I had my little brother help out with a few of the gifts we made for his band director and I was very impressed by his quick learning.  I mean, I knew the kid was smart but I didn't expect him to pick up on crafting so fast!  For one of the projects we dyed 5 little onesies to match the color of the fabric I used for the other gifts and decorated them.  I will admit we did make his band director a lot of gifts, but it's hard to stop crafting when you're having fun.

While I cooked dinner my brother dyed the onesies and he got the color pretty darn close.  See for yourself:



When I first thought of the onesies I wanted to make felt appliques but then I stumbled upon the perfect iron-on appliques at JoAnn's.


Of course I had to make a onesie with a tie applique!  I wanted to make one for Nik so I figured now would be the perfect time to try making one.

The bib was the final project I made for my sewing for kids class.  It was very easy to make and I was able to sew it all in one sitting.  I added iron-on fleece in the middle to make it more absorbent.  I originally wanted to make the fabric waterproof but when I read the packaging it advised, as a precaution, against using it on things that may be "...chewed or sucked on by children."



After I made the bib I still had a good amount of fabric left over so I made a tie applique onesie and matching mitts, however I'm afraid the mitts might be too large for the newborn.




No comments: