Translate

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Floral Pencil Skirt - Burda Style 8/2012 #111

After I learned about sewing magazines, I really wanted to give them a try.  I bought copies of Burda and Ottobre and I looked through all the patterns.  After reviewing the patterns I decided to select something simple, a pencil skirt.  I have sewn a pencil skirt (without lining and a vent) before and I know how the general construction should go so I figured that I could fix a mistake if I made one.

I took out my new seam allowance ruler and tracing paper and tried to find the pattern pieces I needed to trace.  When I opened up the pattern sheet my jaw dropped because it looked like a confusing mess...so I went back to the magazine and read the pattern instructions and found the location of the pattern pieces.  As I was tracing out my pieces on the kitchen table my husband walked in and looked at the pattern sheet and told me, "Good luck with all of that..." and quickly turned around and left. 

While I was tracing everything was going fine and then Nik walked into the kitchen and started reaching for the pattern...no!  Instantly I jumped and stopped him from pulling the pattern sheet and while trying to prevent him from pulling it, I knocked into the tracing paper.  (insert long sigh here)  Luckily, I was able to line up the tracing paper over the pattern and pick up where I left off.

As I started sewing the skirt everything seemed straight forward, except when I got to the back vent and adding the lining.  I was soooo confused when I read the instructions.  I think I read them at least a dozen times.  I finally looked at a store bought skirt to see what Burda might be trying to explain.  After a week of trying to understand the Burda instructions I just sewed it how I wanted to sew it...I was done caring about doing it right and according to the instructions.

Front View
Back View with Invisible Zipper and Back Vent
Vent View

No comments: