Sunday, October 20, 2013

Project of the Moment - Super Kid!

As I child I loved playing dress up and I especially loved capes!  I knew that I wanted to make one for Nik now that he has an interest in playing dress up.

For the cape I probably could have done without a sewing pattern however the last time I tried to cut a large amount of fabric into a perfect square, I ended up with crooked parts!  So if spending $1.99 saves my sanity then so be's a small price to pay.

I bought this pattern last Halloween and I planned to use when Nik was ready to start playing dress up.  Luckily for me Ann Kelle came out with her Super Kids fabric collection this year (I seriously love all her prints!!!).  It was a no brainer that I was going to use the fabric to make a super hero cape for Nik.

I made this a size larger and I changed the fastening method of the cape because I didn't want to use a string to tie the cape.  I'm extremely cautious about fasteners that cannot be easily undone.  I cut a 3" inch tall piece of fabric and folded it in half and stitched down one edge.  I cut the length generously so it wouldn't be tugging on Nik while he plays.  I sandwiched the unfinished end between the fabrics before I sewed up the cape and I used a little velcro for the fastener.  The pattern calls for top stitching the top of the neck to seal the opening left for turning, however I think the entire cape needs to be top stitched because the lining fabric separates and poofs out (as you can see in the solo cape picture).

*p.s. I don't know why the red came out so bright, I made edits to tone it down.  :(

No comments: