Translate

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

DIY Duct Tape Tablet Cover


Our tablet case broke so I went shopping for a reasonably priced replacement and didn't find anything locally for our tablet.  Apparently if you have an Apple tablet you can find a ton of tablet covers on sale.  I was a little overwhelmed by the online selection of cheaply made tablet covers, so I decided to make a new tablet cover and call it a day.  

I found a duct tape tutorial that provided great basic instructions so I used that and changed a few steps to make construction easier.  Please note that my tutorial is specifically designed for 10 inch tablets like the Google Nexus 10.

First things first, you need to gather your supplies.



Supplies:

1. Duct tape (1 print or 2 coordinating prints)
2. Measuring Tape
3. Craft knife or Scissors 
4. Scrap Fabric or Muslin (roughly 1/3 of a yard) 
5. Self Healing Cutting Mat

6. (Optional) Permanent Marker (in matching color), Q-Tip and Rubbing Alcohol

7. (Optional) Rolling Pin


Tutorial:

1.  Measure and cut out your fabric (don't forget to iron out all the wrinkles before you cut).  Cut a piece that is 10.75 inches wide by 22 inches long (mine is actually 24 inches long but I think that length is too long).  The fabric will be used to create a foundation to layer the duct tape and create the appropriately sized cover.  

2.  Start tearing off pieces of tape tape that are about 10.5 inches long.  Slightly overlap the strips as you work your way down your fabric.  Repeat this process on the back side of the fabric.  Feel free to use a coordinating print.  (I don't recommend making the strips long enough to fold over because it creates bulk at the sides when you go to add your border, so trim the strips that are too long.)  When you're finished, use the rolling pin to flatten the duct tape on both sides. 


3.  After both sides of the fabric are covered, we are going to add a border around the edge.  This will seal off the sides and create a clean finish.  Take a piece of duct tape a little longer than your side and leave half of the strip hanging off the side so you can wrap it to the other side of the fabric.  Trim off any excess duct tape.  [I opted to use the whole strip of duct tape (instead of folding it in half) because I wanted to keep the print.  (I used a black sharpie along my border edge to cover the white parts and lightly brushed rubbing alcohol on the parts where I marked the border.)]


4.  When the border is finished we are going to place the tablet on top of the fabric.  Fold the fabric over the tablet and extend it about an inch or an inch and a half over the top of the tablet.  Pinch the bottom of the fabric to create a crease.  We are going to use the extra part at the top to create a top flap.  You can add tape to the sides to keep the flap up or leave it open like I did.  I chose not to add tape on the sides because it would mess up my border print.  If you do add tape, you might want to add some on the inside as well to keep the duct tape from touching your tablet.


5.  To keep the fabric folded and the top flap down, we are going to create a strap to wrap around the cover.  Take a 22 inch piece of tape and fold it in half.  Wrap this piece loosely around the cover.  My tablet is less that half an inch in thickness so I didn't need too much room (you can insert your tablet in the cover when you wrap the strap around to make sure it will fit...I had to guess because I didn't have the tablet with me, hence the paper "tablet" in the picture).  


6.  Once you have the strap wrapped around, take a small strip of duct tape (that matches the back) and use it to tape down the end of the strap.  You can trim down the strap if you need to, in case there is some overlap at the ends (we don't want that bulk).  



...and voila!  Fin! 

No comments: