Translate

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Going Boho - Cora's Maxi Dress Pattern Review


I'm a sucker for long billowy dresses, so it was love at first sight with this pattern. I actually own a RTW dress that is a similar style; however, it's too long to wear with flats and it's strapless (which means I don't wear it often).




The fabric is linen from JoAnn's.  The pink color is almost the same shade as the two skirts (the Cascade and the Mabel) that I recently made (with fabric I also bought at JoAnn's).  I might be obsessed with this pink.



This pattern is rated for an intermediate beginner however I think anyone can make it.  The most difficult part of this dress is gathering the tiers and sewing them.

The pattern is well written, however there are a few things I would change if I were to use it again.  I followed the instructions on attaching the bodice ruffle to the bodice and I found the casing to be a little bulky.  I would probably sew the bodice ruffle to the wrong side of the bodice and the flip it to the outside to sew the casing as instructed.  I think it would reduce the bulk and make it easier to thread the elastic through.  Also, you could attach the straps between the two layers.  To secure and reinforce the straps you can top stitch them as directed in the instructions.  Another thing I would change is adding an elastic casing at the bottom of the bodice (to match the one at the top) instead of only sewing two rows of smocking stitches.  The dress just hangs and looks like a maternity dress on me.



All these gathers look cute but they are a pain to sew, especially when you have soooo much fabric.  I used my walking foot and lots of pins to keep the gathers in place as I sewed.  The pattern calls for top stitching above the gathers but I opted to use my serger to trim and finish the gather seams.  



I really love the dress (even though it took more than 5 yards of fabric!).  And of course I had to make a flower crown to wear in my dress pictures.  I didn't think my pictures would be complete without one...I mean, come on...who doesn't love flower crowns?  I will show you how I made my crown in a separate post.  



This is probably my favorite thing I have ever made...I love the dress so much that I might need to make more.  Perhaps I will make a matching version for Violet.  :) 

No comments: