Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Burda Style 07/2011 #115

I wanted to make myself something to wear for Violet's first birthday party and I had the perfect fabric in my stash.  Since I was making this last minute a week before the party I decided on a simple skirt design, Burda Style Asymmetric Skirt 07/2011 #115.

I would like to note that the skirt doesn't droop like it does in the pictures.  When I tried it on, it looked fine and you couldn't tell that I used a lining unless you saw the underside of the skirt.  With that being said, let's continue!

The skirt consists of one pattern piece and then a rectangle piece for the band, so it came together quickly.  The most difficult part of this project was working with the fabric I selected because it was lightweight jersey.  When I finished sewing the two main pieces and tried on the skirt, I realized that it was almost transparent!  

I was bent and determined to finish this project and not waste the fabric so I went to JoAnns and searched for fabric to use for lining.  I needed something knit and something a little slinky so the lightweight jersey wouldn't cling to the lining.  The only thing I found was swimsuit lining so I bought it and took a gamble.  My gamble paid off and the skirt was a little bit more opaque.  I attached the waistband, only to realized I cut it in the wrong direction of stretch....doh!  I left it attached for "works" but I need to switch it out for rib knit fabric instead.  As you can see in the picture, the lack of stretch made the skirt bunch up in some parts.

My skirt came out okay, albeit not as cute as I thought it would turn out...whatevs, now I have a comfy and stylish lounging skirt.  I'm just glad that I finally made something with this fabric that has been sitting in my stash for a year even though it's not the oldest piece of fabric that's been sitting in there.

p.s. - I did shorten it about two inches so it looked like the skirt on the model in the picture.

No comments: